When it comes to managed services, there are two components, and two ways that a Managed Service Provider looks after your business.
- You have an internal person who actually know a bit about IT and they know about computers or they play games.
- And then we’ve got the external expertise. These are the people who are part of a business whose sole purpose is to look after information technology for other businesses.
When it comes to the internal people, there are a number of problems with having people on staff. One, it costs you a lot of money, especially if you’ve got a dedicated IT person.
A dedicated IT person, jack of all trades, can cost you anywhere from $70-150K. Not many small businesses under 20 people can afford that cost. On top of that, they are going to be doing everything.
They are going to be:
- fixing computer problems,
- printer problems,
- setting up firewalls,
- setting up servers,
- setting up policies,
- putting policies in place,
- working on business continuity,
- Doing disaster recovery plans.
- All of this stuff for one person is one difficult.
Yes, they could be the most competent person in the world. But I can guarantee, if they can do all that, they won’t be working for you very long. They will move into a managed service environment where they can specialize in an area that they are really focused on.
When it comes to external expertise, you don’t have to worry about that, because you know that if you’ve got a backup and restore problem, then an expert in backup and restore will come and have a look at it. Or, you have a problem with your printers. And someone who knows printers will come and have a look at it, or remote in and fix it.
These people are what you really need to make your business go forward, because they are the technical expertise that allows you to use your business to do what it needs to do.
To make sure that you, the driving force behind the business, doesn’t have to worry about your IT. The managed service provider are the experts. They are the CIO, the CDO, the IT manager, any component that you need to ask questions about, they will know what to do.
And a good managed service provider will make sure that the external expertise that you require as a business to go forward are in place and ready.